Thursday, June 08, 2006

Embarking on a journey



images of Abu Dhabi


Life is harder to live if living means being apart from your loved one(s). Dev and I were married last July, and a few months later, he was offered a job in an airline in the United Arab Emirates. It was something Dev has always wanted -- a better work environment, a better career prospect, which could lead to a better tomorrow.

It finally happened. In January, Dev got his stuff packed and was ready to leave home to work in a foreign land. It was tougher than I had imagined seeing him leave, even though I was going to see him a couple of months later. It took me a week before letting life set in without Dev.

In March, I flew almost seven hours to be with him for a couple of weeks and at the same time to get a feel of what it was like living in Abu Dhabi. Abu Dhabi is the capital of the UAE as well as the administration hub whereas Dubai is the commercial hub. I must say Dubai attracted me more with its exciting lifestyle, and it took me by surprise when I noticed how modern Dubai actually is.

It has been six months since Dev left for Abu Dhabi, and (my) resigning from the workforce is a decision I am not regretting. I will be joining Dev next month as we embark on our long-term career plan over there.

I have been dismissing the fact that I have to start packing soon and deciding what I need to bring with me. I know once the bags are laid opened for me to start packing, that is also the time my emotions get the better of me. Leaving behind a life in Malaysia, my family and friends as well as sacrificing the comfort of home wouldn't be easy -- who said change is easy? Dev and I have always wanted a shift in our lives -- something with a positive outcome, whether long term or short term -- and we hope to make the best of our stay there.

No comments: